Wednesday, June 28, 2017

IpadAndIphoneSWVA JuneJuly 2017
CLICK HERE

for the
current digital
version of
OurHealth
magazine!

Featured Stories

LewisGale Regional Medical Center wins third place in Pink Glove Video Competition

Written by  Rich Ellis

Global competition has raised more than $1 million for breast cancer awareness, research.

LewisGale Regional Medical Center won third place in the fifth annual 2015 National Pink Glove Dance Video Competition to promote breast cancer awareness and raise money for organizations supporting outreach, treatment and research. After LewisGale received nearly 17,000 public votes in the “large-bed” category, Medline – the contest sponsor – provided a $2,500 donation to LewisGale’s chosen charity, Susan G. Komen Virginia Blue Ridge. During the video competition – which can be seen at www.pinkglovedance.com – LewisGale raised an additional $2,000, bringing their total donation to the Komen affiliate to $4,500.  

“We could not have done this without tremendous community support,” says Jon Bartlett, President, LewisGale Regional Health System. “We want to personally thank everyone who participated in the video and also those who took the time to vote for us. Together, we are making a difference in the fight against breast cancer.”

Produced by VPS – Video Product Service of Roanoke – the video featured more than 100 dancers, including hospital staff, physicians, the Floyd Ward School of Dance, Salem-Fire EMS, Salem Police and community members, many wearing Medline’s pink exam gloves and even pink tutus for promote breast cancer awareness. Scenes were filmed throughout the Roanoke Valley, including at LewisGale Field, home of the Salem Red Sox baseball team.

“We are honored to be chosen as the recipient,” says Catherine Turner, executive director of the Virginia Blue Ridge Affiliate of Susan G. Komen. “We can’t do the work we do without LewisGale.”

In addition to the money raised during the competition, Turner says that LewisGale is an important ally year-round, donating office space to the non-profit and fielding one of the largest teams in the annual Race for the Cure. The $2,500 donation, Turner says, will enable Komen to provide 25 area women with mammograms.

Turner explains that 75 percent of net proceeds the non-profit receives stay in Southwest Virginia while the remaining 25 percent go to the national organization to help fund research aimed at finding a cure for breast cancer. Nationally, one out of every eight women in the U.S. will develop breast cancer during their lifetime, according to the National Cancer Institute.

Medline, a global manufacturer and distributor serving the healthcare industry with medical supplies and clinical solutions, created the Pink Glove Dance video competition in 2011. This year the initiative was opened to entrants globally and attracted 56 teams from the U.S. and Canada, raising more than $300,000 that went to 33 breast cancer charities. More than $1 million dollars has been raised since the contest’s founding.

 

 

SWVA